When it comes to home design, exterior design often takes a back seat. However, the exterior is the first thing people see when they approach your home, and it can greatly impact your curb appeal and the overall aesthetic of your property. Whether you’re thinking of selling your home or simply want to give it a fresh new look, designing the exterior of your home should be a top priority. From choosing the right colors and materials to adding landscaping and outdoor furniture, there are many ways to transform the exterior of your home and make it more welcoming and attractive.
The Importance of Designing Your Home Exterior
Designing the exterior of your home is just as important as designing its interior. Your home’s exterior is its face and the first thing that people see when passing by or visiting. A well-designed exterior leaves a lasting impression and can even increase your home’s value. In this article, we will discuss the many benefits of designing your home’s exterior.
Improves Curb Appeal
Curb appeal is the attractiveness of the exterior of your home when viewed from the street. A well-designed exterior can significantly improve your home’s curb appeal. This, in turn, can increase the number of potential buyers willing to visit and potentially purchase your home in the future. A beautiful exterior can make your home stand out from the rest of the houses in your neighborhood.
Simple additions such as a well-maintained yard, a fresh coat of paint, and eye-catching accents can instantly make your home more attractive. Adding outdoor lighting is another option to enhance your home’s curb appeal. Not only does it make your home look beautiful at night, but it also adds a layer of security to your property by discouraging potential intruders.
Increases Resale Value
Designing your home’s exterior can also significantly increase its resale value. The first impression that your home’s exterior makes can affect potential buyers’ decisions. It can be the deciding factor in whether a buyer decides to view your home or not. A well-designed exterior can also increase the perceived value of your home, meaning buyers may be willing to pay more for a home that looks attractive and well-kept. If you are planning to sell your home in the future, investing in your home’s exterior can pay off significantly.
Boosts Personal Satisfaction
A well-designed exterior also has numerous benefits for homeowners. Having a beautiful and welcoming exterior can provide a sense of pride in homeownership. It can also make the home itself feel more inviting and comfortable. A beautiful exterior can set the tone for the type of memories you make with your family and friends at home. Many homeowners that invest in their home’s exterior report feeling more satisfied and happier in their residence.
In conclusion, the exterior of your home is just as important as its interior. A well-designed and maintained exterior can improve your home’s curb appeal, increase resale value, and provide personal satisfaction to homeowners. So, invest in your home’s exterior today and reap the numerous benefits it has to offer.
Factors to Consider in Exterior Home Design
The exterior of your home is the first thing guests or passersby see, so it’s important to take time and effort when planning the design. Exterior home design is not just about making your home look good, but it also plays a huge role in its maintenance and protection.
Choosing the right color scheme sets the tone for your home’s overall look and feel. The color scheme you decide on can have a drastic effect on your home’s value and appeal. To choose the right color scheme, it is important to consider the architectural features of your home, the surrounding color palette, and the environment. Earth-tone colors provide a natural and inviting atmosphere. Choosing two or three colors for your home’s exterior will create depth and added visual interest. Classic colors such as white, beige or light grey will provide a timeless look. Consider incorporating your personal style and color preferences as well.
The materials used on the exterior of your home can have an immense impact on its durability, upkeep, and style. Modern and minimalist designs use materials like stone, steel, and glass. Traditional and country styles use brick, stucco, and wood. Choosing the right materials for your home involves balancing your style and budget while also considering practicalities such as durability and maintenance. Your home’s finishes should complement each other to achieve a cohesive look.
Stone can be used to create a textured and elegant look. Full stone designs work well for larger, more expensive homes while stone veneers are budget-friendly alternatives.
Wood is a popular material that can be used in various exterior styles. Siding, shingles, and shakes can give a warm and naturalistic look to your home.
Brick is a timeless material that can be a great choice for any exterior home design style. Red or brown bricks can give a rustic feel, while painted brick can provide a more modern look.
Metal panels and finishes can create a modern and industrial look to your home’s exterior. They are long-lasting and require minimal maintenance.
Consider the prevalent home style in your neighborhood when choosing your exterior design style. While standing out is good, creating a cohesive look with surrounding homes can also be a good idea.
The craftsman style emphasizes simplicity and handcrafted details. It usually features natural materials such as wood and stone, and has deep porches and overhanging eaves supported by brackets.
Popular in Mediterranean climates, this style features earthy materials such as stucco and clay tiles. Arched windows and doorways and a flat or low-pitched roof characterize the Mediterranean style.
Characterized by symmetry, this style features a center entrance with two windows on each side. They usually have a tall, narrow shape with two or three stories and are typically made of brick or wood.
The ranch style features open floor plans, one-story height, and low-pitched roofs. They are often made of wood, stone, and stucco and feature large windows and sliding glass doors to let in light.
Landscaping plays an essential role in the overall aesthetic appeal of your home. It provides necessary curb appeal and complements the style of your home. The right landscaping can also strategically add to your home’s functionality.
Flower beds along the walkway and front porch can provide a welcoming feel to your home. It’s important to consider the amount of sunlight the plants will receive while selecting to ensure quality growth.
Trees and Shrubs
Trees and shrubs should be selected based on their ability to complement the style of your home and the surrounding landscape. These provide a natural aesthetic to your overall design and strategically provide shade to sensitive areas.
Exterior lighting provides safety and security while adding extra ambiance and beauty to your home. Lighting along the walkway and entry point of your home is crucial as it provides a welcoming feel and added safety measures.
In conclusion, there are several critical factors to consider in exterior home design: color schemes, materials, architectural styles, and landscaping. By taking time and attention to each of these elements, you can achieve the perfect look for your home that is both practical and aesthetically pleasing.
Design Ideas for Different Home Styles
When it comes to exterior design, there are a variety of styles to choose from. Here are some design ideas for different home styles:
Ranch Style Homes
Ranch style homes are typically one-story homes with a low-pitched roof, asymmetrical design and an open floor plan. Here are some design ideas:
- Add a porch: Adding a porch to a ranch style home can add some dimension and create an inviting entryway.
- Use horizontal lines: The horizontal lines of a ranch style home can be accentuated with materials such as horizontal wood paneling or brick.
- Use color: Bold and dynamic colors can make a ranch style home stand out. Try using bright accent colors on the shutters, front door or garage door.
Colonial Style Homes
Colonial style homes are characterized by their symmetrical design, rectangular shape and simple facade. Here are some design ideas:
- Use columns: Colonial style homes often feature grand columns on the front porch or entryway. Consider using large, decorative columns to create a prominent focal point.
- Add shutters: Shutters can add some charm to a colonial home. Choose a color that contrasts with the exterior color of the home to make them stand out.
- Focus on the entryway: The entryway of a Colonial home is often the focal point of the home. Consider adding decorative trim around the front door and painting it a contrasting color to draw attention.
Craftsman Style Homes
Craftsman style homes are known for their low-pitched roof, exposed rafters, and use of natural materials such as wood and stone. Here are some design ideas:
- Use earthy tones: Craftsman style homes look best with earthy, muted tones such as cream, beige, brown or green.
- Add decorative brackets: Decorative brackets are a signature feature of Craftsman style homes. Use them on the roof, eaves or overhangs to add architectural interest.
- Create an outdoor living space: Craftsman homes are often designed for indoor-outdoor living. Consider creating an outdoor living space with comfortable seating and lighting for enjoying the outdoors.
Working with Exterior Home Design Professionals
Exterior home design is an important aspect of any construction project because it plays a significant role in curb appeal, functionality, and safety. Hiring an exterior home design professional can be a wise investment for homeowners who want to achieve a specific look or add value to their property. There are three types of exterior design professionals that homeowners can work with: designers, contractors, and architects. Each plays a unique role in the design process and has its own set of skills and expertise. In this article, we will take a closer look at these professionals and how to choose the right one for your needs and budget.
Exterior designers are experts in designing outdoor spaces. They specialize in creating a cohesive look that blends seamlessly with the home’s architecture and surrounding landscape. Their expertise lies in selecting the right materials and finishes, as well as determining the appropriate layout and flow of the space. Exterior designers often work with a team of professionals, including architects and contractors, to bring the design to life. If you’re looking to transform your outdoor space into a functional and beautiful oasis, an exterior designer may be the right choice for you.
Contractors are responsible for overseeing the construction of the exterior design. They work closely with homeowners, architects, and designers to ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget. They have a deep understanding of the construction process and can provide valuable insight into the feasibility of the design. Contractors also have a network of subcontractors who specialize in various fields, such as plumbing, electrical, and masonry, to ensure that the project is completed to the highest standards. If you’re planning an exterior renovation or addition, a contractor can be an invaluable asset to your team.
Architects are licensed professionals who specialize in the design and construction of buildings and outdoor spaces. They are trained to balance form and function, taking into account factors such as aesthetics, safety, and energy efficiency. Architects are often involved in the early stages of the design process, working closely with homeowners to understand their needs and preferences. They use their expertise to create a design that meets all of the client’s requirements while adhering to local building codes and regulations. If you’re building a new home or planning a major renovation, working with an architect can help ensure that the final product is both beautiful and functional.
Choosing the Right Professional
- Define Your Project Scope – Before you start looking for a professional, it’s essential to define your project scope. Consider what you want to achieve, any specific requirements or preferences, and your budget.
- Ask for Recommendations – Word of mouth is a powerful tool when it comes to finding a reputable professional. Ask friends, family, and neighbors if they have worked with any exterior design professionals that they would recommend.
- Check Credentials – It’s important to ensure that any professional you’re considering has the necessary credentials, licenses, and insurance. Ask for references and check online reviews to get a sense of their reputation.
- Review Portfolios – Reviewing portfolios can help you get a sense of a professional’s design style and the quality of their work. Look for examples of projects that are similar to yours in scope and size.
- Get Multiple Quotes – It’s a good idea to get quotes from several professionals before making a final decision. This can help ensure that you’re getting a fair price and that you’re working with a professional who is the right fit for your project.
DIY Exterior Home Design Tips
There’s no doubt that a beautiful exterior can greatly enhance the overall look of your home. However, hiring a professional to design your home’s exterior can be costly and time-consuming. The good news is that with a few simple projects, you can give your exterior a whole new look without breaking the bank. Below are some DIY exterior home design tips to get you started.
Paint Your Front Door
One of the easiest ways to give your home’s exterior a new look is by simply painting your front door. Choose a bold and vibrant color that complements your home’s existing color scheme. Some popular colors for front doors are red, teal, and black. Make sure to clean and sand your door before painting to ensure a smooth finish.
Install Outdoor Lighting
Outdoor lighting can not only improve the look of your home’s exterior but also increase its safety and security. Install lights around your front porch, along walkways, and by your driveway. You can also try using solar-powered lights for a more environmentally-friendly option.
Create a Garden Pathway
A garden pathway is a great way to add some character to your exterior. Use a mix of stones or bricks to create a winding pathway leading up to your front door. Plant flowers and shrubs on either side of the pathway to create a beautiful and welcoming entrance.
Upgrade Your Mailbox
Your mailbox is one of the first things people see when they approach your home, so consider upgrading it for a more modern or unique look. You can repaint your existing mailbox or purchase a new one altogether. Choose a mailbox that complements your home’s exterior and fits your personal style.
Add Window Boxes
Window boxes are a charming addition to any home’s exterior. They can be purchased at most home improvement stores or made from scratch using wood and brackets. Plant colorful flowers and greenery in the boxes and place them under your windows for a beautiful and natural touch.
FAQs about Exterior Home Design
If you’re thinking about sprucing up the exterior of your home, there are likely a lot of questions you have. From budget concerns to choosing the right colors, here are answers to some common FAQs about exterior home design.
How much does it cost to hire an architect?
The cost of an architect for an exterior home design project can vary widely. It will depend on several factors, such as the experience and reputation of the architect, the scope of the project, and your location. In general, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $250 per hour for an architect’s services. For a full-scale design project, the total cost could range from $3,000 to $20,000 or more.
What are some popular color schemes for home exteriors?
Choosing the right color scheme for your home’s exterior is a big decision. There are several popular color schemes to consider, including:
- Neutral colors: These shades are classic and timeless, and can include whites, grays, beiges, and browns. They can also help balance out bolder accents or trim.
- Bold and bright colors: If you want to make a statement, consider bold hues like reds, yellows, blues, and greens. Just be sure to choose colors that complement each other and don’t clash.
- Monochromatic: A monochromatic color scheme uses different shades of the same color for a cohesive look. This can be a great option if you want a more subdued and sophisticated aesthetic.
What is curb appeal and how can I improve it on a budget?
Curb appeal refers to how attractive your home looks from the street. Here are some budget-friendly ways to improve it:
- Paint your front door: This is an easy and affordable way to add some color and personality to your home’s exterior. Choose a bold hue that complements your home’s overall color scheme.
- Upgrade your house numbers: This is a small detail, but it can make a big impact. Upgrade your old or outdated house numbers with new ones that are more modern and stylish.
- Install outdoor lighting: Proper lighting can not only improve safety and security, but it can make your home look more welcoming and inviting. Choose fixtures that complement your home’s style.
- Plant a garden: A well-maintained garden can add color and texture to your yard and make your home look more inviting. Choose plants that thrive in your climate and that complement your home’s color palette.
- Pressure wash your exterior: Over time, dirt and grime can build up on your home’s exterior, making it look dull and dingy. Rent or borrow a pressure washer to give your home’s exterior a deep clean.
What is the best way to clean and maintain my home’s exterior?
Maintaining your home’s exterior is important to protect it from weather damage and keep it looking its best. Here are some tips:
|Wash windows||1-2 times per year||Use a squeegee and a solution of water and dish soap for streak-free results.|
|Inspect and clean gutters||Twice per year||Remove debris and check for any damage or leaks.|
|Touch up paint||As needed||Keep your home’s exterior looking fresh and new by touching up any chipped or faded paint.|
|Trim trees and shrubs||Annually||Keep trees and shrubs away from your home’s exterior to prevent damage and improve curb appeal.|
By following these tips, you can keep your home’s exterior in great shape and enjoy it for years to come!
It’s Time to Design Your Dream Home’s Exterior
Thank you for taking the time to read our article on exterior design. We hope that you’ve found the information helpful and inspiring, and we can’t wait to see what you create for your own home’s exterior. Remember, the key to a successful design is to strike a balance between functionality and style, and to let your personality shine through. We wish you all the best on your home design journey, and we hope you’ll visit us again for more tips and ideas.